Closet designers can be a great resource for helping you make the most of your home’s storage space. They’re also the perfect people to ask for the information you need if you are comparing products, services, and companies.
Here are 10 questions you can ask your closet designer to help you make a smart purchasing decision:
1) What’s involved in the process? During your first meeting with your closet designer, ask him or her to walk you through the whole process, from consultation to design reviews and changes, ordering, manufacturing time, delivery, and installation. Working with a DIY online closet company is a different experience than hiring a local closet company, so it’s good to know what to expect if you’re evaluating these options.
2) How long will it take? With EasyClosets, you can expect a faster turnaround than you’d get with many local closet companies. The online design tool lets you see and update your design at your own pace, and orders are custom-manufactured and typically shipped within a few days after they’re received–not when a company can make time for you.
3) Who manufactures your closet systems? Understanding how the product is made may be important to you if you want to ensure you’re purchasing from a reputable manufacturer. You might ask if everything is assembled and shipped from one location, or if the company uses products from other sources. Customers that purchase from companies with centralized manufacturing benefit by receiving consistently high-quality products, visible in details like color matching and first-rate fit and finish.
4) Where is the manufacturing company located? Feel free to ask where the company is headquartered and where the manufacturing facilities are, so you know where the product is made and how long you can expect shipping to take.
5) How long has the company been in business? You can trust a company with a long track record of customer satisfaction. Ask your designer if their company has been around more than 25 years, and how many employees they have.
6) What is the product made of? Custom closet systems come in many different forms: solid wood, wood veneer, wire, and composite wood panels. When choosing products made with composite wood panels, be sure to ask about the surface. Is it a durable, thermally fused laminate surface that is baked on, or is it just held together by glue?
7) How durable is the material? Another key indicator of material quality is the thickness of panels and shelves. Some closet organization systems are 5/8” thick, while more custom solutions are offered in ¾” thick material.
8) What kind of support do you offer down the line? Apart from written instructions and online videos, ask what other help is available for customers after the purchase is made. If a company doesn’t offer enough support, you’ll have no one to turn to for questions about installation or future changes.
9) What if my needs change? Say you purchase a custom closet system this year, and you need to add on to it or make changes later on. Is the system versatile, making it possible to add features such as drawers, baskets, hampers, an ironing board, or more shelves? Can you easily adjust the shelves and hanging rods? Do you feel confident that the company you are considering purchasing from will be around in the future?
10) What is the warranty, and what does it cover? Some companies may offer only a 5- or 10-year warranty. Quality manufacturers back their products by offering a lifetime limited product warranty. Be informed from the beginning of what you’ll be getting and make sure that works for you.
The more you know about the company you are purchasing your closet system from and how the process works, the better your experience will be. Use your meeting with your closet designer as an opportunity to educate yourself, and you’ll be able to move forward confidently.